Hello there and welcome to my blog!
I’m Deepika Ishwarya Kumaaraguru, normally addressed as Ishwarya by everyone from my family, school and college but please call me Deepika. It’s my lucky name and it’s what I love best.
I also love doing my job, being an author. I never thought of becoming one when I was at school, let alone had any idea of what else I wanted to do. I was this girl always sticking to the sidelines, always overshadowed by the other girls. I was never that good at stuff – academics, sports, you name it – except English class, where I always put my best forth and got acclaimed by the teachers.
I’d always been an avid reader ever since I was a kid, having the habit of sleeping next to books. It was what pushed me into discovering my passion for writing. Though once the writing’s finished, the countless attempts to find an agent, the right publisher and all the strenuous efforts of marketing can be a pain in the rear, I just love writing line after line, creating dialogue after dialogue, painting scene after scene and completing a full manuscript with an exhale of exhilaration, following Dory’s motto of Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, swimming …
Aside from being a happy author, here are some fun facts about me:
- I’m an all chocolate girl. When I go to Ibaco, I make the server stare with some amusement as I ask him pile a large scoop of crunchy chocolate, throw in chocolate buttons, pour chocolate fudge sauce and add a chocolate brownie. My Mum shudders just by looking at it 😜
- I’ve studied in twelve schools 😁 Don’t believe me? 😉 Kindergarten done in India, primary school done in the United Kingdom and high school back in India, the hullabaloo of changing schools every six months due to my Dad’s job. I completed year twelve in school number twelve, something I’m amused as well as happy about. My college friends used to tease me about whether I’d finish my undergraduate course in one college or three 😜
- I used to be so painfully shy back when I was at school that my knees actually shake when I’m called to the front of the class 😄 One horrifying experience of this was back during year eleven when the Chemistry teacher asked us to read a text on Sublimation so he’ll call someone to the front and make them take a seminar on it. I was desperately praying he shouldn’t pick me but fate laughed at me in the face and shoved me in front of the entire class. There I stood with mortification running undiluted in my system, my mind blank. It’s so not cool to look like a dork in front of your crush who’s seated in the second row 🙈
- I want to write a love story after the fantasy series I’m currently working on is over. I really love romance and once my mind sparks a fresh plot in this genre, I’ll be working on it right away ❤
- I once dreamed of becoming a Marine Mammalogist so that I could surf alongside orcas, dolphins and whales. Meeting these beautiful creatures has always been a deep desire of mine. I really wish to pet orcas and dolphins one day ❤
- I believe in soul mates ❤ There is a person out there who God has made for you and you alone. They maybe on the rails while you maybe on the road but there is always a junction where the two paths intersect.
- I used to bring puppies home from school back when I was a kid. One of my schools had a lot of dogs and some mammas gave birth to litters. Being an avid animal lover, I’ve never been able to resist those puppies and used to tuck them into my lunch bag and take them home, much to the displeasure of my family. I’d always had to return them the next day 😞 And I still don’t have a pet 😦
- When I’m home alone, I sing at the top of my voice to Taylor Swift karaokes 🎶
- Ask me to recite the entire script of Finding Nemo, Toy Story, Bug’s Life, Lion King, Monster’s Inc, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Ice Age, 101 Dalmatians … and I will 😜
Have a beautiful and successful day ahead!
Jai Shree Krishna ❤
Lots of love, Deepika